I got a computer virus on my computer. What can I do to fix it?
If you got a virus, then there is a series of steps that you need to follow.
- Make sure that you have virus scanning software installed. Norton
and McAfee are the most POP3ular virus software manufacturers.
- Once/If you have it installed, check the software manufacturer's website
to make sure that your software is updated with the most recent virus code.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not assume your virus program is completely up to date if
you just purchased it. Virus software manufacturers typically release
updates every 2-4 weeks!!!
- Once/If that is done, do a complete and thorough virus scan of your
- If that does not work, check the software manufacturer's website again
to see if there is a fix or patch specifically for the virus that infected
- If you've done that and the virus is still not cleared or it is cleared
and your computer still does not function properly, contact your computer
manufacturer's tech support as the virus might have causes a more serious
Return to FAQs Page